Zinc flake coatings are non-electrolytically applied coatings that provide good corrosion protection. These coatings consist of a mixture of zinc and aluminum flakes connected by an inorganic matrix.
Zinc flake coatings are used worldwide in the automotive and construction industries as cathodic corrosion protection coatings. In combination with a topcoat, these coatings can also provide color (black, silver, blue, etc.), chemical resistance, low electrical conductivity (due to the influence of the organic layer) and bolting properties.
Aalberts surface treatment in Deurne is specialized in the zinc flake coating of smaller bulk parts (bulk material ) using the dip-spin process. Compared to spray painting, the dip-spin process is very cost effective.
The advantages of zinc flake coating:
- Cathodic protection: The zinc flake coating functions as a metallic coating of many small flakes. Due to the sacrificial effect of zinc, the component is actively protected against environmental and chemical influences. Depending on requirements, a certain basecoat layer thickness can be set and a protective effect of up to 1000 hours can be achieved in the neutral salt spray test (according to DIN EN ISO 9227).
- Low layer thickness: The total layer thickness of the coating is on average only 8-20 µm. Compared to other corrosion protection systems such as powder coatings or hot-dip galvanizing, the zinc flake coating is almost invisible, but protects equally well against base metal corrosion.
- High accuracy of fit: The zinc flake coating is ideal for components whose standards place high demands on accuracy of fit, for example screws with metric threads.
- No stress corrosion cracking: With zinc flake coating there is no risk of hydrogen-induced cracking (hydrogen embrittlement). For high-strength steels (classes 10.9 and higher) the zinc flake coating is therefore the best choice.
- Friction coefficient requirements: The coefficient of friction can be set to values between 0.06 and 0.18 by a specific topcoat.
- Attractive appearance: A zinc flake coating enables a surface to be optically adapted to the customer's needs by selecting the topcoat. The standard colors black and silver are used.
Aalberts surface treatment Deurne uses basecoats and topcoats from suppliers MKS Dörken and Magni.
Our zinc flake coating follows the standard listed here (extract):
- BMW GS 90010
- Bosch N67F 827
- Brose BN590295-109, Brose BN590295-110
- Daimler DBL 8440
- Ford WSS-M21P42
- IVECO 18-1101
- John Deere JDM F13
- MAN 183-3
- Porsche VW96215 (PTL 7529)
- PSA B15 3320
- SAF - Holland Technical Specification
- Scania STD 4165
- Siemens Mobility A6Z000040590559
- Tesla TM-0010F-M
- Volvo STD 5752,53
- VW TL241, VW TL233
(Process-related restrictions may result in deviation from the norm)